Since one week my partner and I are working on a new ceramic product at sundaymorning@ekwc . We started with an idea how to make an old product better. As preparation we began with sketches, modeling in 3D and finally printing the model in Styropor and PU, then we started to learn how the ceramic production works and began on day one with ‘building a mould’. Without getting too much into detail (this will come at a later point), here are some first learnings, that may be applied to other projects, material, idea’s …
- Ceramic is a complicated material with many variations and possibilities
- There is a big difference between timing and time
- ‘Rapid prototyping’ does not mean ‘quick prototyping’
- A 3D model of the final product is not the same as a model for the mould
- There are many possibilities, you just have to try ‘one’ for the beginning. Repeat!
- Broken pieces does not mean broken dreams.
- Finally (the #musicthinking one): ceramic is more like Morton Feldman’s For Philip Guston and less John Zorn’s Spy vs. Spy
will be continued …